Last night I read Agustina's facebook status and saw that it's one of the quotes from G.K. Chesterton. Then I felt familiar and tried to remember who he is. I'd just realized that I used his quote, too, in my thesis acknowledgement! That's why I felt like ever hearing that name. Then I realized that he had written many inspirational quotes! I do googling about him and what I find just now is that he reminds me of Uncle Vernon in Harry Potter series! :D (and a really classic British appearance)
I'm gonna put some great quotes from him here:
- I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
- When we were children we were grateful to those who filled our stockings at Christmas time. Why are we not grateful to God for filling our stockings with legs?
- There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great.
- To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.
- Man seems to be capable of great virtues but not of small virtues; capable of defying his torturer but not of keeping his temper.
- An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.
- There is no such thing on earth as an uninteresting subject; the only thing that can exist is an uninterested person.
- I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on man unless they act.
- You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing and grace before I dip the pen in the ink.
- Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.