Saturday, June 04, 2011

WHEN WE FEEL SCOTLAND IN JAKARTA

Sunday, May 29, 2011 there was 32nd Jakarta Highland Gathering in Lippo Village, Imperial Golf Club. It's an annual event, kind of Scottish Culture Festival. I went with my friends Feli and Belinda, plus 7 westerners from Nebraska. They were Stacy, Liz, Lindsay F, Lindsay E, Stephanie, Natalie, and Drew. They came as volunteers for HOPE Worldwide Indonesia, and the amazing thing was, they did this project with their own money and also for the medicines! This project involved Philippine, Indonesia, and Cambodia. Check the story of their project on their blog: CURA. They had done really awesome and great job. So, here is the story on that day.



Here was the location.


Free photo-shoot for us!


The super-tall man, much taller than me :p


The parade!


Scottish Dance, really want to learn it, coz it seems easy :)



Pizza-juggling from Domino Pizza, awesome! 



The Hindi bag-pipers, cool eh?



The wood-choppers! They were really cool! They used piece of wood to be stuck in the middle of it, and used it as the foothold. They climbed it and continued chopping! Woo-hoo!



Go bag-pipers! They played the bag-pipes together (from Hong Kong, Australia, and etc) to produce really noisy sound haha. I had one favorite there, a cute guy and a cute girl wearing the same uniform. Unfortunately, had no enough bravery to ask for taking picture. 



The Marching Band



Me and Feli with Mr. Pantomime. He is sooooo funny! Right picture was when I tried cocktails. There were 3 kinds of it, with different levels of alcohol. I was holding the middle-level, and it tasted awful! Smelt like hospital and tasted like medicine, plus hot-sensation in my throat. Then I tried the light one, the pink-colored one,  it was the most drinkable from all. The highest one was blue, and it's also euh. Three of them made hot-sensation and I hate'em. Yay! Go Juice and Syrup! :p

These were Steph, Stacy, Lindsay E, and Drew (in order) for Wellie Toss. They were throwing wellies!


I really loved when they said, "We got medals!"


Lindsay F played Rugby and her team won too as the first winner!


Here we present "The Champions" \(^O^) /Took these pictures from their blog, too. You also can read their stories completely on their blog!


Tsamina-mina e e, waka-waka e e! Enjoy this show so much. They were spitting fire.


Oh yeah, the Burning of Viking Boat. I, and my friends, really expected something much more than this. The Viking Boat was too small. And for me, I was expecting they would burn it on the lake or water, just like the tradition. But anyway, I still loved to see the flames licked the boat's skeleton. It was, beautiful yet thrilling.

 

The fireworks! I loved when they played 'What a Wonderful World' as the music and we sang together (only remember the Reff, tho~ :p). One thing I really loved about this event (which was attended by approximately 10.000 people) was the westerners. There were a lot of them, like 70% westerners and 25% Indonesian and 5% others. So it felt like I was not in Jakarta, tee-hee. Scottish's games are unique and funny. There were wood splitting and hammer toss also. We also learned to make juggling-balls from balloon and rice. And the very best things were:


I GOT TWO FREE CHRISTIAN BOOKS!


THESE BOOKS ARE AWESOME, THAT'S WHAT I CAN SAY.
 I CAN'T WAIT TO BORROW THE BOOKS FROM BELINDA, TOO. 


Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment